It took me several months, but I finally got around to starting the large project of painting my warmachine forces.  I started getting figures just after Christmas, but before painting anything, I wanted to get them all assembled, which was a chore in itself.  I’ve got a good mish mash of Cryx figures, as well as the two player starter (so a small group of Protectorate and Khador).  I haven’t painted anything in at least fifteen years, and I wasn’t all that good back then, so I was more than a little daunted by the task ahead of me.

When I decided to pick up Warmachine, I settled on Cryx as my primary faction.  This was based solely on how their jacks looked.  They had a sleek and mean look that was missing from the other factions.  After reading the rules, getting the Cryx faction book, and then playing several email games with Bobb and Phil, I was pleased with my choice.  They’re fast, mean, hit hard, and have a large amount of tricks in their bag.

The basic color scheme is pretty good, but I wanted to put my own stamp on it, instead of just toeing the company line.  I wanted to add in a little color, so I thought to combine a deep, dark red to the dark grey base.  Something reminiscent of a deep blood color.  And instead of using the green highlight and glow, I wanted to do a red, just because it’s more menacing (at least in my mind).  After looking around on the web at what other have done with their unique painting schemes, I had a good idea of how I wanted to implement the one I came up with.  So, a week or so again, I finally put brush to plastic.  And I have to say, I was pretty pleased with my results.  It’s still pretty amateurish, for sure, but it’s better than I expected.  Below are my finished turkey jacks (they also remind me of the mousers from TMNT).  The colors in the photos isn’t quite accurate, but it’s late, and I didn’t want to fiddle too much with my camera.

The Death Squad

My first: the Defiler

Next: the Deathrippers

Finally: the Nightwretches

I was pretty pleased with how the bone came out (it’s a bit more yellow in these pictures than in person), although I had to pretty much redo the Deathrippers.  The Nightwretches are the old metal molds, which have some neat aspects to them (particularly the bumps on the side plates), but they are a bit smaller than the others, and the smoke stacks are kind of anemic.  Eventually I’ll get some of the newer versions, but before then, I have stuff I need to get to actually round out the force.

Currently I’m working on my Slayer, to be followed by a Reaper, and finally a Harrower (which needed some modification to make up for a positioning error, but more on that when I get to it).  After them, I’m not sure if I’ll get to the casters, or go on and do some units.  I’ll need to figure out what I want to do with those color schemes.  But I’ve got a little time that’ll become an issue…