By mrfroggies– January 25, 2013
I decided I would put these three days together, as they are really looking at the units in your list and why you pick them. Below is my break down on the merits of each unit, and why they are on or off the list. Splashing is often a tough topic. Some people hate to splash while others splash outside agenda units in every list. Some people will only play faction pure, while others will open up to Agenda only. When I teach people the game I play Faction pure to keep things simple, but when I play more competitively I will Splash. When I build my lists I’m trying to look at the following general categories and make sure I’m covered. If I’m not then I usually have a reason for it.
- Offensive Strike Potential – The Katana, and C-Types have me covered here. Solid boost dice and great range.
- Offensive Power Generation – Kantana’s with power gorge from Sun Industries can setup a great chain reaction. I may need a helping hand to get this setup.
- Mobility - Even slow moving Collaborator units can still move way up the field because of Underground Network. I have multiple units with 7 spd and a lot of units with movement abilities.
- Enemy Unit Manipulation – Here’s where Collaborators start to falter. They don’t have in house Tow, or Hoist. They don’t have any way to slow down, or limit enemy units movement. I’m going to need some help here.
- Cancellation – Here’s another area where Collaborators falter. They don’t have Countermeasures, they don’t have Drain Life, and they don’t have Jam. The only Cancellation ability that they have is Disrupt. I take that back, they have No Fly Zone on the Sun Drone. They need help in this area, but I’m not sure I’m going to splash for this. Sometimes you just can’t have everything.
- Defensive Power Generation – Here’s where Collaborators Shine. They have some of the best power generating units in the game. S1 has both Amplify and Satellite Support. They have 3 units that have Amplify, and 2 units that have Satellite Support. They can build very strong power bases.
- Efficiency – Transport is the first ability that comes to mind. They have lots of cargo units, and being able to bring them out into play and into position is very effecient.
- Triggers and General Synergy – They have access to some good triggers, but they aren’t the best triggers. Chain Reaction on the Katana’s is there best trick, but that’s where Hoist/Tow can really set things up. Red Cloak on Multiple units can make things difficult for enemy units to retaliate.
Shadow Sun Units:
|Interceptor – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Shadow Sun list where this guy hasn’t been on the list. He’s fast with 7 spd, and he has transport. This is the goto guy when you need to screen your monster. This guy is on my list|
|S-Type Shinobi – They are quick with speed 6, good def of 3 and they have built in cloak. They also have Jump and flank. They are okay brawlers, but these guys were made to work with Zor Raiden, not Zor-Magna.|
|Shadow Gate – A cargo unit with Red Cloak, hmm I’ll take 2. The other intersting aspect to the Shadow Gate is it’s action of Teleport. It’s this part that you don’t see that often, and I hope to use it sometime to catch someone off guard.|
|Sun Fighter – I like the look of them, but I don’t see them getting any play within my force. There big advantage over the Robo Squix is that they have a long range blast. I don’t think that’s enough to get a slot on the team. Sorry guys but better luck next time.|
|Katana – These guys are the back bone of the Shadow Sun. Red High impact, 7 speed, and long range blast, with chain attack. These are my goto guys. If I park them next to a Sun Industries they gain cover and force field making them Def 5. I run 2 grunts and an elite of them.|
|C-Type Shinobi – A great blasting unit with a natural boost on the grunt, that’s cargo. The C-Type has 2 good blasting triggers with power drain, and disrupt. A well timed disrupt can cripple some monsters, or at the very least make them waste several power dice trying to get back to there hyper form. These guys are on the team.|
|Shadow Raider – They guy who made this unit also made the Carnidon, and the Constrictor. I don’t think I need to say anything else.|
|Sun Drone – The little ball that could. These guys, when paired up are power producing masters. Sat Support can be very good. They also have No Fly zone which can be useful, but it’s better when it’s on a building. I have yet to see that ability work on these guys. They are another Cargo unit which is nice, but I’m not sure they are going to keep there slot.|
|Carnitron – The Carnitron is a solid brawler with a natural boost die on the grunt. It has an ok brawl trigger with chain reaction, but it’s limited by being ground bound. It’s unable to reach flying units or monsters which makes it’s effectiveness less then acceptable. The Mecha Chompers are better brawlers in every way, and they are better blasters too. Compared to the other units they don’t bring enough to make the team.|
|Mecha Task Master – This is a support unit. It can brawl, and it can blast at long range, but it doesn’t do either of those things very well. What it does do is command other units where they need to go. It also has command in red so it can grant this to Zor-Magna. In general I think she’s going to use Fission as her action, but it might be worth it to give this guy a spot on the team|
|Robo Squix - They are mediocre blasting units, but they have a good blast trigger with explosion. Anti Air helps with the grunt units lack of a natural boost die. They are speed 6 which isn’t great but it’s not bad, that with flight gives them some nice options. The worst part of them is that they are def 2 and they don’t have access to cover. An added bonus is that Sun Industries has Red Force Field which will help these guys last a little longer. I currently only field the grunt version of this, and I will make adjustments based on how the team plays out. They aren’t great, but because they have explosion, they will have a place in my force.|
|UCI MRV - These guys are a must have for UCI monsters, but Not for Shadow Sun. I like that they have Amplify and Hover, but there main ability is to repair and I just don’t have a need for that.|
|Mecha Chomper – The Mecha Chomper is one of the Best Brawling units in the game. They equal the frontline apes in boost dice, and yet they can do something that they can’t. They can blast too. Not only can they blast but they are great at supporting the other blasters in the team with Red Radar. I have a pair of these guys in my list. They are a solid team.|
|Robo Brontox – For a figure to be hated as much as the Robro it has to be good. Built in Beacon and Amplify. Park this guy on a power zone and your set. To add to that he has 4 def and the Elite version has Red Cloak. I’m currently running one Elite.|
|S1 Robo Brontox - S1 has Amplify and Sat Support. He’s a power generating machine but that’s not all. He also has intensify. When I first looked at Intensify I didn’t think much of it, but then I noticed that it says Fac Figures. This is great for UCI monsters but doesn’t do anything for Zor-Magna. I like his long range blast stat, but I’m not sure he’s a good fit.|
|Fire Kami – Rage with a good blasting unit is hard to beat. It’s why you see him in so many lists. He doesn’t have to lead the attack to get you that extra p die, so why not have him in the mix. I may add him so I can run the Insurance scam, but not sure about that yet.|
|Tornadus – This is the best Character unit in the game. I’m sorry S1 but it’s true. He can blast with 2 boost, and brawl with 2 boost. He fly’s and has speed 7. He has fling on his blast, all that and he has hoist. I can’t say enough about how good he is. Hoist works so well with Chain Reaction, I have to put him on the team.|
|Spadefin Skimmer – Most of the time I will look at Pteradactix before the Skimmer, but I may really want extinguish. I’m on the fence about this guy.|
|Razor Beatle - This guy is just looking for some heavy hitters to back him, and the Mecha Chompers do just that. This guy can be very helpful when I need to clear some buildings. With the Quantum form being a pedestrian, I’m currently running one of these guys to help clear a lane.|
|Fire Truck – I’m running one of these guys because Deflector Shield can really help out my Sun Industires, but mostly it’s for Extinguish. I’m not sure he’s going to keep his spot|
After doing this review, I wanted to show my old list and my changes.
x2 Shadow Gate
x1 Elite C-Type Shinobi
x1 Sun Drone
x1 Elite Katana
x2 Grunt Katana
x1 Elite Mecha Chomper
x1 Grunt Mecha Chomper
x1 Grunt Razor Beatle
x1 Fire Engine
x1 Grunt Robo Squix
x1 Elite Robo Brontox
x1 Mecha Task Master
x1 S1 Robo Brontox
I’m not sure if I should run the Fire Engine over the Skimmer. I could be convinced to drop one for the other. I’m not sure what I want to do with that last slot, could be I drop Fire Truck, for something else completely.